Kim performed nationally in person and internationally online.
Audi Field, DC
The Torpedo Factory Art Center, VA
The Fredericksburg Expo & Conf. Center, VA
BPC in South Carolina
Spit Fire in Philly, PA
Queens Literary Festival. Long Island City, NY
SWAMM in California
Charlotte, North Carolina
Kim is the First African American Poet Laureate of Prince William County, Manassas, Manassas Park, VA
Oct. 2020 – Oct 2022.
Kim was nominated in three categories in the inaugural 2021 DMV Renaissance Awards.
DMV stands for (DC, MD, VA)
Haiku/ “Haikuist” of the Year
90TH ANNUAL WRITING COMPETITION
Congratulates Kim B. Miller
on being awarded Fourth Place
for Sleep in the category of
Kim is the 2019 Southern Fried Poetry Haiku Champion.
What is Southern Fried?
Southern Fried Poetry Slam is a yearly performing arts festival celebrating spoken word poetry. Every year a Southeastern city in the United States plays host to this event which is one of the largest Spoken Word and Performance Poetry tournaments in the world. Kim competed in the haiku deathmatch and won in 2019.
Kim is the 2018 BPC Slam Champion.
Kim was a finalist in the Poet of the Year category for the Indie Author Legacy Awards 2017.
One of Kim’s poems was published in an eBook by Poetry X Hunger called Poets Speak back to Hunger, June 2021.
One of Kim’s poems is on exhibit online at the Athenaeum Gallery as part of their: Speak Your Truth/Black Lives Matter initiative., Oct 1, 2020-
Kim’s poem was highlighted as a stand out part of the ‘Speak Your Truth Black Lives Matter” exhibit at the Athenaeum Gallery in the Metro Weekly Magazine, Oct 2020
One of Kim’s poems was published in the Washington City Paper (online and in print) in June 26, 2020.
Click the picture below to a link to the online version.
This picture belongs to Washington City Paper not Kim B Miller.
One of Kim’s haiku was published in this international haiku anthology in Oct 2019.
Hog Wild is an anthology of 46 pig poems by 40 haiku poets from all over the world, in celebration of the Year of the Pig. Proceeds will go to Farms Not Factories, a charity in the UK. (This information is from the page where you can order the book) Click Here
Several of Kim’s Haiku were published in African Voices Magazine in Summer/Fall 2018.
One of Kim’s Haiku were published in Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine in July 2017.
- Kim is invested in helping “future poets” develop their skills. She mentors students in elementary, middle school and high school.
- Kim facilitates workshops for students to show them how to improve how they write and recite poetry & monologues.
- She also mentors adult poets.
- She is vehement about helping moms and dads parent together, even if they are in pain themselves.
- She’s been featured on WLIB, KD Bowe Morning Show with Denise Hill, giving advice and guidance to callers with questions on parenting.
- She facilitated workshops and was part of an author’s panel at Hueman Bookstore in Harlem, NY.
- She facilitates parenting classes for Prince William County in VA.
Her parenting alienation book is titled: How to love Your Kids More Than You Hate That Man
Kim’s articles have appeared in magazines and other parenting publications, including several websites:
- Woman’s Divorce http://www.womansdivorce.com/uncooperative-co-parenting.html
- Kim was one of the commencement speakers for Bard High School Early College DC.
- Kim was one of the key note speakers on a webinar titled: Changing your Vision.
- Kim facilitated an online “Women are Art” webinar to empower women.
- Kim spoke at the Hotel RL in Baltimore. Her topic: Fear, doubt and haters can only win if you give them the victory.
- She’s an empowering motivational speaker that touches the heart, mind and soul. Her words can inspire you toward greatness.
- Kim mentors adults. She believes encouragement is a gift that we all possess but sometimes we don’t offer this gift as often as it is needed.
Kim recently (2021) facilitated a workshop for University of California Berkeley.
Kim is one of the facilitators of a poetry class at a women’s prison.
Kim facilitates classes on a variety of topics:
Kim hosts events:
Kim is the host of a monthly online event called Poetry Escaped,.
She was the host for an open mic for Speak Peace Entertainment in Woodbridge, VA.
She hosted a variety show at the National Black Theater in NY.
Kim hosted a private event at the Officer’s Club in VA.
She will engage the audience!
Spoken Word Poet
This spoken word artist loves writing and “spittin”. She wants you to feel her heart in each piece.
- Her poetry is her heart expressed in words: opinionated, thought provoking and real.
- Poetry is her form of breathing and she breathes deeply. Kim wants you to see her truth as she paints a vivid picture with words.
- She was the featured poet at several venues, churches and programs in NY, MD, DC, VA, SC, PA, CA, CO, NC.
- She also performed in an off Broadway production at the National Black Theater in Harlem, NY and the Hylton Performing Arts in VA.
- Kim had two, one woman poetry shows at The Atlas Performing Arts Center in DC.
- Kim performed at 2 campuses: Northern Virginia Community College: Woodbridge and Annandale.
- Kim has several spoken word poetry books and a CD and she has an online store of her products.
For more information on all of Kim’s books click here.
Kim is a native New Yorker, born in Brooklyn. Her family later moved to Roosevelt, Long Island, NY. She remained in NY until moving to Prince William County, VA.
Kim went to college at Rochester Institute of Technology where she graduated with a BS in Business Administration. She earned an AAS in Information Technology at Northern Virginia Community College.
She is married and has 4 children: 2 added to her heart through marriage and 2 she had in a previous marriage. She has two siblings: a sister and a brother. Her brother is deceased.
is a Christian and she believes thinking is her oxygen, words are her blood and the Lord provides both.